Sunday, March 27, 2011

In-Class Blog-Writing Prompt #3 (Term 2)

In To Kill a Mockingbird, Miss Caroline seems passionate about literature, and wants to share the joy of it with the schoolchildren. What does literature mean to you? Explain its significance in life. Explain your view in a paragraph of at least 8 lines. So before I start on what literature means to me, I would like to establish what is the actual definition of literature: Creative writing of recognized artistic value. What does literature mean to me? I guess I would like to approach this in a neutral stand. Literature to me when I first started learning it, was a form, or rather level, of a language that requires skills of higher order to be able to understand and apply. Though from them till now, I have had many conflicting thoughts on literature. Sometimes as I analyse poems and look for literary devices, I feel that the fact that poets are able to link so many things together, and how deep a certain way a bunch of words are arrange can mean a whole lot more, just amazing. Then comes the time when I have had thoughts that literature is basically, pardon my language, bullshit. This was because I have heard of stories of artwork basically being a accidental splash of paint, winning the grand prize of an art competition. How does this happen? It is when people start to 'make a mountain out of a molehill' of just simple things. Having said that, literature is a part of a language, and without that part, that language would be shallow and no longer really a part of life. Literature is the part of a language that allows people, poets, authors to depict a certain image, to capture details to such a minute scale that readers can actually imagine themselves in the scene. Without literature, the world would be so much more dull!

No comments:

Post a Comment