Thursday, April 14, 2011

In-Class Blog Writing Prompt #8 (Term 2)

What is the most important or significant thing that you have learnt so far from completing the Reading and Reasoning Exercises? The most important or significant thing that I have learnt so far from completing the Reading and Reasoning Exercises would be the issues and themes that I never thought of while reading To Kill A Mockingbird. As I was reading the book, what kept going through my head was prejudice, racism, prejudice. I was reading the book with this in mind, and never really thought about the other things that might be going on in the book. What the Reading and Reasoning Exercises do is that from the abstracts that they use for us to read and answer the questions, allow me to go deeper into a certain block of texts, and understand and see things from a different point of view. I find this very insightful. An example would be Miss Caroline's teaching style and method. As I read through that block of text on my own, I just saw that as 'Miss Caroline is a strict teacher'. When I went through it thoroughly during the R&R Exercise, I found out many other things, such as inferring about how she might have felt about Atticus, though being a educated and intelligent man, teaching Scout how to read before hand, and other things like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment