Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Compulsory Blog Post 6 - Musical/Rhythmic‏

As Mr Lundberg is going to be absent for 1 week, he gave us assignments and that is to complete 4 blog post over the entire week. I have chosen to start with Musical/Rhythmic, assignment (b) where we have to compose a song/write a rap about Hari’s decision to leave Thul in the midst of family and community crisis.


I have chosen to compose a song and I will elaborate more on the meaning of my lyrics.


This is a song that I have composed


I have found a way
A way that I can't say
Don't ask me why today
It's all null anyway
(~It's all null anyway)

So I'll sacrifice myself
and let you have what's left
Don't tell me what to do
I am through with you
I will take this path
(~take this path)

So tell me
How it should be
My family, where is your voice
You have left with no choice

(chorus)
You took away my life
You took away my mind
And now you take our chances to survive
I have tried to help
But now I doubt
Whether its all worth right now

(uh~)

Today, this ends
So dont regret
I do not seek
Divine intervention
Bombay, my destination
Bombay, is now my home
(~no longer Thul)

Well that is the end to my song! Frankly speaking, I really had fun thinking deeper on what words I should use. Nevertheless, as stated above, I shall provide the meaning of each verse for you people.




I have found a way
A way that I can't say
Don't ask me why today
It's all null anyway
(~It's all null anyway)

What this refers to here is that Hari has found out about the factories that are ariving in Thul and that many of the people living there are all going to Bombay to protest against this. Hari is tired of his current life, he wants to run away from all the misery and his father - one that squanders money on toddy while the family's financial situation is bad. Hari takes this opportunity to leave for Bombay but he finds it hard to even say goodbye to his family. The last three lines (from Don't ask me why today), shows that no matter what happens now Hari would not change his mind about leaving for Bombay.



So I'll sacrifice myself
and let you have what's left
Don't tell me what to do
I am through with you
I will take this path
(~take this path)

Hari has decided to be the one to go to Bombay and try to survive there, although without external help which he later got, he would have died on the cold streets. What this verse means is that Hari will go to Bombay and leave his sisters to take care of their parents and house while he earns a living in Bombay. He is tired of his usual hard life of just planting, fishing and looking for coconuts and life pushing him around and now he has decided to take a risk and go to Bombay.




So tell me
How it should be
My family, where is your voice
You have left with no choice

Hari does not want to leave for Bombay if he could help his family and him to survive in Thul but they would surely starve in the future. What I meant here is that Hari has no other choice and is asking his father, where is your help. The family needs their father to work to provide for them, but he just makes matters worse.




You took away my life
You took away my mind
And now you take our chances to survive
I have tried to help
But now I doubt
Whether its all worth right now

What this means here is that Hari is angry with his father for not giving him a normal life where he could just go to school. Although Hari may be able to share some of the burden, taking all of it will just make him go mad sooner all later. He is also saying that his father not only does not help but also squanders money on toddy. Hari tried to help at first, but then soon he realises that what he does might not be a long term solution




Today, this ends
So dont regret
I do not seek
Divine intervention
Bombay, my destination
Bombay, is now my home
(~no longer Thul)

Hari is leaving for Bombay and he doesn't want his family to regret pushing him to that path. He does not believe that sitting around and waiting for a miracle to happen and he will soon learn to treat Bombay as his home, where he will grow up in the rest of his life in.





Well, looks like that is the summary for my song. I hope you people have enjoyed reading it as much as I did composing it. Thank you for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment