Sunday, January 16, 2011

In-Class Blog Writing Prompt #1 (Term 1)

The most favourite book I have ever read, was actually a book I read last year. I have actually did a book review on this book in a previous blog post, but since during the first blog writing prompt this year is on my favourite book, I decided to further add on on why I really loved that book.

Emperor: The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden

Before I start writing anything else, here is the link of my book, in the website Goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6868339-emperor

I would actually like to say that anything related to roman history, interests me. From movies, to games, and even to books. There's just something so fascinating about how the politics were like during the time when Rome was one of the greatest empires in history, how a few significant leaders could change so much, and all the things going on in a great city. To find a book that actually does such a brilliant job in giving all that justice, is rather rare. Thus, when I set my eyes on this book and read it, I could just imagine whatever is being described in the book.

There is an ancient latin saying from a greek poet, Pindar, that goes, "γλυκύ δ᾽ἀπείρῳ πόλεμος." What this means in English is, "Dulce bellum inexpertis." which means, "War is sweet to those that never have experienced it." Oh how true is this, as I have always enjoyed games that have war. Well I would say that most people who enjoy games do too.

So the main plot of the story revolves around the very famous roman general, Gaius Julius Caesar. This book is part of a series of four volumes, and this particular one start on the beginning of Julius Caesar's life, when he was a baby, when he was a child, through his adolescent years. Why I like this book more than the other three in the series, is precisely because of this reason. Before I even read this book, I have read biographies on Julius Caesar and his acomplishments, his follies, and things like that. What happens in this book is that I get to go into a personal level on how Julius Caesar might have felt, might have thought at his age. I get to reveal the making of a leader. This really intrigues me, as behind all the glamour, grandeur and pride, I can see who truly Julius Caesar was as a person, and not as a celebrity.

So that ends of this blog writing prompt of my favourite book. I will indeed remember this book for the rest of my life, and you have to read it, in order to truly experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment